Team Tesscott
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Team Tesscott

This is a place for Tessa Virtue and Scott Moir fans to get together and talk. It isn't an official fan club (at least not yet).

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

New programs?

Go down 
+4
OlieRow
cleoc
swandie
lilybird
8 posters
AuthorMessage
lilybird
Novice Skater
Novice Skater

New programs? Empty
PostSubject: New programs?   New programs? Icon_minitimeMon Jun 09, 2008 1:31 pm

I'm so eager to know what music Tessa and Scott will be skating to this upcoming season. I was trying to remember at what point last summer they released that information. Does anyone remember? Do they tend to announce their new programs at around the same time each year?

Of major interest is finding our how different/similar their FD will be. I'm also having a hard time picturing them doing anything "flapper style" or whatever you call the new rhythm for the OD. It sounds so, I don't know, "bouncy" maybe is the word I'm looking for? That was sort of the feel I had about the Yankee Polka - very bouncy - and I didn't think it suited them at all, however well they were able to perform the steps.

Anyone have any news?
Back to top Go down
swandie
Fan
Fan

New programs? Empty
PostSubject: Re: New programs?   New programs? Icon_minitimeMon Jun 09, 2008 1:59 pm

I think they announced their music in late August/early September last season. I think most skaters at their level tend to announce their music around that time. I know the French skaters wait until French Masters to reveal their programs.

The rhythm for the OD is music from the 20s, 30s, or 40s. The "flapper style" is from the 20s so they still have music from the 30s and 40s to choose from if they aren't comfortable with the 20s. The FD should probably be something different from what they've done the past two seasons. I'd love to see them try something "heavy" or even lighthearted.
Back to top Go down
http://swandie27.livejournal.com/
lilybird
Novice Skater
Novice Skater

New programs? Empty
PostSubject: Re: New programs?   New programs? Icon_minitimeMon Jun 09, 2008 3:59 pm

swandie wrote:
I think they announced their music in late August/early September last season. I think most skaters at their level tend to announce their music around that time. I know the French skaters wait until French Masters to reveal their programs.

The rhythm for the OD is music from the 20s, 30s, or 40s. The "flapper style" is from the 20s so they still have music from the 30s and 40s to choose from if they aren't comfortable with the 20s. The FD should probably be something different from what they've done the past two seasons. I'd love to see them try something "heavy" or even lighthearted.
Such a big range of music for the OD's. This will be so interesting.

And I so agree about the FD. Although I love how natural they are with the soft, romantic style of the past two seasons and I could personally just watch them do that forever, I do realize that to keep credibility with the judges they have to show different styles. There's always the danger of trying to be so different that it becomes instead ridiculous. I'm trusting this team not to do that.

On a personal aside - it looks like I'll be doing lots of work from home this summer (and I'm hoping it can continue this way into the fall) and so of course I'm checking in on these forums lots more. Very Happy More discussion around here would be fabulous. Smile
Back to top Go down
swandie
Fan
Fan

New programs? Empty
PostSubject: Re: New programs?   New programs? Icon_minitimeMon Jun 09, 2008 4:55 pm

lilybird wrote:

There's always the danger of trying to be so different that it becomes instead ridiculous.

True. I think Tessa and Scott's programs will turn out just fine.

lilybird wrote:
On a personal aside - it looks like I'll be doing lots of work from home this summer (and I'm hoping it can continue this way into the fall) and so of course I'm checking in on these forums lots more. Very Happy More discussion around here would be fabulous. Smile

I know what you mean. I scour the boards multiple times a day looking for news. Grand Prix assignments come out soon though so we'll have that to discuss...Very Happy
Back to top Go down
cleoc
Fan
Fan

New programs? Empty
PostSubject: Re: New programs?   New programs? Icon_minitimeTue Jun 10, 2008 8:51 am

Did Canadian skaters have tests ?
Tessa and Scott must skate at 2008 Mariposa Gala - maybe they will show one of there new programs at this show?
Back to top Go down
swandie
Fan
Fan

New programs? Empty
PostSubject: Re: New programs?   New programs? Icon_minitimeTue Jun 10, 2008 11:25 am

Tessa and Scott did a test skate last year but I think it was in late August/early September. They aren't scheduled to do Mariposa (they aren't on the list of performers right now) but they could announce it later.
Back to top Go down
lilybird
Novice Skater
Novice Skater

New programs? Empty
PostSubject: Re: New programs?   New programs? Icon_minitimeTue Jun 10, 2008 3:12 pm

swandie wrote:
Tessa and Scott did a test skate last year but I think it was in late August/early September. They aren't scheduled to do Mariposa (they aren't on the list of performers right now) but they could announce it later.
Is that the Thornhill skate? Haven't they done that one the last couple years?

I'm also resolved not to get too excited about their first costumes. Last year I really disliked that orange creation that Tessa wore and then the final dress was so perfect for their FD. I decided this time I'll have more faith in their taste. No conclusive criticisms or judgments till I see the final versions. Smile
Back to top Go down
swandie
Fan
Fan

New programs? Empty
PostSubject: Re: New programs?   New programs? Icon_minitimeTue Jun 10, 2008 3:33 pm

lilybird wrote:

That's the one! I read on FSU that Tessa and Scott will probably skate it as their (required?) summer competition and that's in August. The poster also mentioned the training camp in Vancouver in the middle of September.
Back to top Go down
OlieRow
Fan
Fan
OlieRow

New programs? Empty
PostSubject: Re: New programs?   New programs? Icon_minitimeTue Jun 10, 2008 8:28 pm

It'll be interesting to see what they come up with. They said something in an IceNetwork.com interview about trying out possibilities for the OD, right? I'll second the thought that they need to do something different for the FD. As much as I LOVE the past 2 years they need to do show variety. Then they could go back to their comfort zone for the Olympic season.

I don't think this off season can go any slower. Hopefully we'll get GP assignments in the next week or so. And I'll be distracted by the Olympics in August!
Back to top Go down
Diana
Fan
Fan

New programs? Empty
PostSubject: Re: New programs?   New programs? Icon_minitimeWed Jun 11, 2008 11:35 am

swandie wrote:
lilybird wrote:

That's the one! I read on FSU that Tessa and Scott will probably skate it as their (required?) summer competition and that's in August. The poster also mentioned the training camp in Vancouver in the middle of September.

I don't think Tessa and Scott have any required summer competitions, but they do Thornhill anyway because it's a good way to get some feedback on programs. Last year they only did the CD and FD at Thornhill, and then showed the OD and FD at summer test camp (which I think *is* required of all national team members).
Back to top Go down
lilybird
Novice Skater
Novice Skater

New programs? Empty
PostSubject: Re: New programs?   New programs? Icon_minitimeSat Jul 26, 2008 1:31 pm

I just saw the current list of competitors for Thornhill and Tessa and Scott aren't registered. I guess this means we won't get a glimpse of their new programs till the summer test camp in September?

This summer is really lasting foreeever. I wonder if this also means there's no news (official) re. their programs till right before the summer test camp?

None of the elite dance teams have made program announcements - is it a game of chicken? Laughing
Back to top Go down
swandie
Fan
Fan

New programs? Empty
PostSubject: Re: New programs?   New programs? Icon_minitimeSat Jul 26, 2008 3:35 pm

The Kerrs announced their music a few weeks ago. Their OD is to music by Big Bad Voodoo Daddy and their free dance is "Ruled by Secrecy" by Muse. Navarro and Bommentre and Wester and Barantsev have announced their music as well.
Back to top Go down
lilybird
Novice Skater
Novice Skater

New programs? Empty
PostSubject: Re: New programs?   New programs? Icon_minitimeSat Jul 26, 2008 11:42 pm

swandie wrote:
The Kerrs announced their music a few weeks ago. Their OD is to music by Big Bad Voodoo Daddy and their free dance is "Ruled by Secrecy" by Muse. Navarro and Bommentre and Wester and Barantsev have announced their music as well.
You're right, I'd forgotten about these.

It's the heat - every day seems endless - I Hate 90+ (practically 100) degree weather (it's another reason I so look forward to the start of the skating season; it means cooler weather).

I love Big Bad Voodoo Daddy. It should be a fun OD.
Back to top Go down
lilybird
Novice Skater
Novice Skater

New programs? Empty
PostSubject: Re: New programs?   New programs? Icon_minitimeSat Jul 26, 2008 11:48 pm

Oh, and I saw on that other board (FSU) that the summer test camp (or whatever it's called) in Vancouver will be closed to the public? Is that true? Have any of you heard anything?

So does that mean we don't see Tessa and Scott's programs till Skate Canada?

I thought the summer was looong - now this!
Back to top Go down
Sarah
Admin
Sarah

New programs? Empty
PostSubject: Re: New programs?   New programs? Icon_minitimeMon Jul 28, 2008 4:27 pm

I heared that you have to buy tickets to the camp..I'm pretty sure if you buy tickets you can watch.
Back to top Go down
swandie
Fan
Fan

New programs? Empty
PostSubject: Re: New programs?   New programs? Icon_minitimeMon Jul 28, 2008 9:32 pm

Unfortunately the rumor's true and the camp is closed to the public this year: http://www.skatinginbc.com/content/home.asp

Too bad for those who were planning to go. Looks like we'll have to wait until Skate Canada unless they decide to reveal their music before then.
Back to top Go down
Sarah
Admin
Sarah

New programs? Empty
PostSubject: Re: New programs?   New programs? Icon_minitimeTue Jul 29, 2008 12:39 pm

aw that sucks for all those who were planning to go. I bet its because of security - people now know the names of our skaters because of how well we did at worlds this year so they dont want to hire the necessary secuirty recuired if the public had access to it..or at least thats my thoughts about it.
Back to top Go down
lilybird
Novice Skater
Novice Skater

New programs? Empty
PostSubject: Re: New programs?   New programs? Icon_minitimeWed Jul 30, 2008 8:08 pm

I have a question for all you skaters -
Is it risky to not debut a program till a major competition, such as SC, or is it really better for the skaters (particularly elite skaters) to have everything under wraps till then?

It seems I see good arguments for both sides. I wonder about your thoughts.
Back to top Go down
Sarah
Admin
Sarah

New programs? Empty
PostSubject: Re: New programs?   New programs? Icon_minitimeWed Jul 30, 2008 9:05 pm

I think most skaters like to debut their programs at smaller competitions before the big ones. That way they have some experience skating them in the competition setting, and also they get the feedback, and general scores from the judges so they know how they are going to stand in internationals. That's why a lot of Canadian skaters debut their new programs at smaller less known competitions like Thornhill Summerskate.
Back to top Go down
Diana
Fan
Fan

New programs? Empty
PostSubject: Re: New programs?   New programs? Icon_minitimeThu Jul 31, 2008 12:00 pm

Many elite skaters have judges who come to their rink and give comments on their program, so that the skaters don't have to skate at a competition. Skating at a competition is good experience for many skaters, but the top skaters often have had so much competition experience that it's not so necessary -- what they really want to know is what type of levels and points their dances will get. This can be done without going to a competition if judges will come to your rink and give feedback.
Back to top Go down
Andin
Fan
Fan
Andin

New programs? Empty
PostSubject: Re: New programs?   New programs? Icon_minitimeThu Jul 31, 2008 12:21 pm

I agree with Diana. It's not necessary for Tessa and Scott to take part in any small competitions now. They have this experience enough.
Back to top Go down
lilybird
Novice Skater
Novice Skater

New programs? Empty
PostSubject: Re: New programs?   New programs? Icon_minitimeThu Jul 31, 2008 1:24 pm

Diana wrote:
Many elite skaters have judges who come to their rink and give comments on their program, so that the skaters don't have to skate at a competition. Skating at a competition is good experience for many skaters, but the top skaters often have had so much competition experience that it's not so necessary -- what they really want to know is what type of levels and points their dances will get. This can be done without going to a competition if judges will come to your rink and give feedback.
This is very interesting. In that case, I can see where keeping something like the Performance Camp closed to the public might help the skaters concentrate on refining the program instead of on the audience reaction. That being said, I wonder if the audience actually affects the skaters' delivery? And if it does, isn't it better to always perform in an environment that's closest to the "real thing?"

Well, as a fan, SA and SC can't get here soon enough!! It's disappointing about this Camp being closed but hopefully there will be some interesting tidbits of information coming from it.
Back to top Go down
Diana
Fan
Fan

New programs? Empty
PostSubject: Re: New programs?   New programs? Icon_minitimeThu Jul 31, 2008 2:43 pm

lilybird wrote:

This is very interesting. In that case, I can see where keeping something like the Performance Camp closed to the public might help the skaters concentrate on refining the program instead of on the audience reaction. That being said, I wonder if the audience actually affects the skaters' delivery? And if it does, isn't it better to always perform in an environment that's closest to the "real thing?"

Having an audience of course affects skaters' delivery of a program. The energy (or lack of) definitely changes things.

"Isn't always better to always perform in an environment that's closest to the 'real thing'"? Well, it depends on what the purpose of the performance is. I believe Training Camp is for the following purposes -- 1) to familiarize Canadian skaters with the Olympic venue, and 2) to allow Skate Canada to see all its National Team members' programs and give them feedback, and perhaps some strategic ideas. Both of these can be done well without an audience present. In fact, it may be better for point (2) *not* to have an audience around, because then Skate Canada could say things to its skaters without fear of being overheard, I guess. Training Camp seems to me to be glorified practice session, not a competition. If that's what it is, then there's no real need to have the public watching.
Back to top Go down
Sarah
Admin
Sarah

New programs? Empty
PostSubject: Re: New programs?   New programs? Icon_minitimeThu Jul 31, 2008 3:23 pm

I think that dancers don't feel the need to go into early smaller competitions because they dont have to worry as much about the jumps in the program. And that goes against everything I've ever said about freeskate not being easier than dance. However, I feel that the single skaters feel the need to get audience experience so they can keep their head in their performance.(ie when the crowd cheers for a jump). In dance, I think it's easier to concentrate - this coming from personal experience in both areas.
Back to top Go down
misha
Fan
Fan
misha

New programs? Empty
PostSubject: Re: New programs?   New programs? Icon_minitimeSun Aug 03, 2008 12:24 am

I think it's good to not debut before it's necessary. A new program that doesn't have all the kink's worked out along with makeshift costumes deserves to be monitored in private. Let them show us their skating at its very best. The last time we saw them, they were world silver medalists and they should be back in that form the next time we see them.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

New programs? Empty
PostSubject: Re: New programs?   New programs? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

New programs?
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Team Tesscott :: Tessa & Scott :: General Talk-
Jump to: